Wilmington Downtown Dares to Change Its Name
Talk clearly defined the mission of Wilmington Downtown, Inc. through the development of a new name and visual brand. We positioned the economic development organization for immediate recognition and growth.
- The name DARE (Downtown Area Revitalization Effort, Inc.) no longer reflected the organization's mission and was often confused with the national drug prevention program of the same name.
- A 16-question, in-person survey indicated that name DARE was ineffective.
- A marketing committee, of which Talk was a member, selected Wilmington Downtown as the new name.
- Talk created the tagline "It Works" to convey how both downtown and WDI work for area businesses.
- A new logo incorporated the riverfront and two iconic downtown landmarks with a simple type treatment.
- A new stationery package and market analysis brochure incorporated the new brand.
- A publicity campaign announced the new name and the organization's shift to focus on marketing, business recruitment and enhancements to the Central Business District.
- WDI's first annual "State of the City" address was launched to announce the new name, detail current and future projects and encourage citizens to support the group's mission.
- The name change was widely publicized by local media and generated substantial "buzz" among supporters, business leaders and elected officials.
- The State of the City address was well attended and publicized, and has become an annual event.
- Talk received a Sir Walter Raleigh Award from the Raleigh Public Relations Society for the WDI marketing analysis brochure and folder.